REFERENCE STRESS DESIGN CHARTS FOR BEAM STRUCTURES
Reference stresses and scaling factors are determined for some common beam structures and the results are presented in practical design charts. One set of charts treats the influence of cross-sectional shape and another set the influence of the structural layout. The approximations of the reference stress technique are discussed and the error in deformation rate is calculated for the structures. The reference stress method and the use of the design charts is demonstrated in the creep design of a simply supported uniformly loaded beam.
- This paper was contributed by the Materials Division for publication in the Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology.
American Society of Mechanical EngineersTwo Park Avenue
New York, NY United States 10016-5990
- Johnsson, A
- Publication Date: 1974-2
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References;
- Pagination: 8 p.
- TRT Terms: Beams; Design; Structural analysis; Structural design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00072675
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Report/Paper Numbers: No. 74-Mat-Q
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 9 1975 12:00AM