PROGRESS IN RAILWAY MECHANICAL ENGINEERING (1973-1974 REPORT OF SURVEY COMMITTEE) CARS AND EQUIPMENT
This survey covers some of the major developments in freight and people transportation equipment made public in the last calendar year. Because of the oil embargo, the increasing demand for power, and more stringent pollution laws, the demand for low sulfur coal out of the west is in great demand. Hence, there is a large need for cars to haul coal. Because of large loss and damage claims in the automotive industry, new equipment for transporting automobiles that is vandalism- and damage-free was developed. In the people transport area, new developments, mostly funded by the Department of Transportation (D.O.T.), are continuing to materialize.
- This paper was contributed by the Rail Transportation Division of ASME for presentation at the Winter Annual Meeting. 17-22 November 1974, New York, New York.
American Society of Mechanical EngineersTwo Park Avenue
New York, NY United States 10016-5990
- MANOS, W P
- Publication Date: 1974-6
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 9 p.
- TRT Terms: Containers; Freight cars; Mechanical engineering; Passenger cars; Rapid transit cars; Unit trains; Vehicle design
- Old TRIS Terms: Car component design; Car design; Freight car design; Passenger car design
- Subject Areas: Design; Public Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00072672
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Report/Paper Numbers: No. 74-WA/RT-10
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 9 1981 12:00AM