EXHAUST EMISSIONS OF SELECTED RAILROAD DIESEL LOCOMOTIVES
Measurements were taken of the composition of exhaust gases from railroad diesel locomotives operating in normal service at various states of their respective maintenance cycles. A major objective was to determine how the exhaust quality of these engines related to emission standards for heavy-duty diesel powered highway vehicles. Results varied from unit to unit, but generally indicated that improvements would be necessary if such regulations were applied to railroad diesels. Another primary objective was to develop basic information on concentrations of important exhaust constituents and to determine whether existing analytical techniques and instrumentation were sufficiently developed to provide reliable and reproducible data on the composition of diesel engine exhaust and the quality of visible emissions. Results indicate that specific concentration of exhaust constituents are a function of engine design and the physical condition of the engine. Furthermore, currently available analytical equipment can be used with confidence for measuring carbon monoxide, oxides of nitrogen, and unburned hydrocarbons in samples taken from the exhaust of diesel locomotives. Techniques and methodology were tested to the extent that reproducible results were obtained for the preceding constituents.
- This paper was contributed by the Rail Transportation Division of ASME for presentation at the Winter Annual Meeting, 17-22 November 1974, New York, New York.
American Society of Mechanical EngineersTwo Park Avenue
New York, NY USA 10016-5990
- Bryant, A H
- Tennyson, T A
- Publication Date: 1974-7
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 7 p.
- TRT Terms: Diesel engine exhaust gases; Diesel engines; Emissions testing; Environmental impacts; Exhaust gases; Pollutants; Smoke; Tests; Vehicle maintenance
- Old TRIS Terms: Diesel engine maintenance
- Subject Areas: Environment; Maintenance and Preservation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00072666
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Report/Paper Numbers: No. 74-WA/RT-1
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 9 1975 12:00AM