BLACK COMMUTING IN PRETORIA: ATTITUDES TOWARDS TRANSPORT COSTS
The report discusses the results of the Pretoria black commuting study in which a total of 1045 commuters were questionned about cost and other important transport attributes. Costs were found to vary considerably according to transport mode, journey length and type of ticket. The average monthly fare was R11.22 and 48% spent R10.00 or less per month. The average percentage of individual income spent on transport was 5.4% and 58% of those questionned spent 5% or less. The results show that cost was an important issue when selecting transport mode and 59% of commuters were dissatisfied with transport costs where fares of over R10.00 per month, or 2.6-5.0% of income, were the main source of dissatisfaction. Pretoria commuters appeared to be more dissatisfied with cost than other South African commuters, with low-income commuters particularly affected, although other socio-economic and transport factors, with the exception of crowding, having little effect.
National Institute for Transport & Rd Res, SAFP.O. Box 395
Pretoria 0001, Transvaal, South Africa
- MORRIS, N
- Publication Date: 1982-12
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 32 p.
- TRT Terms: Attitudes; Buses; Comfort; Commuting; Costs; Economic factors; Economics; Fares; Households; Income; Low income groups; Public transit; Questionnaires; Railroad transportation; Socioeconomic factors; Sociology; Transportation; Transportation modes; Work trips
- Geographic Terms: South Africa
- ITRD Terms: 2267: Attitude (psychol); 1272: Bus; 9138: Comfort; 224: Cost; 263: Economics of transport; 309: Household; 256: Income; 9147: Interview; 621: Journey to work; 744: Public transport; 1173: Rail bound transport; 2253: Sociology; 8103: South Africa; 1145: Transport mode
- Subject Areas: Economics; Planning and Forecasting; Society; Transportation (General); I10: Economics and Administration; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00392868
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
- Report/Paper Numbers: NITRR BCP 8 Spec Rpt.
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 29 1985 12:00AM