MARITIME MOBILE TERMINAL FOR COMMERCIAL COMMUNICATIONS SATELLITE APPLICATION
The MARISAT satellite system for communication with ships on the high seas will be brought into operation by COMSAT General in conjunction with certain other carriers in early 1975. This paper describes the development of a satellite communication terminal for installation on ocean-going ships to provide voice, data and facsimile service for interconnection with the existing national and international communications networks. The major electrical and mechanical factors influencing the design of the shipboard antenna and RF subsystem are discussed, together with the engineering and operational aspects of the communications equipment necessary to meet the service requirements.
- Presented at the IEEE International Conference on Communication, Minneapolis, Minn., June 17-19, 1974.
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers3 Park Avenue, 17th Floor
New York, NY USA 10016-5997
- Giorgio, F
- Knight, I
- MATTHEWS, R
- Publication Date: 1974
- Pagination: 6 p.
- Volume: 10
- TRT Terms: Communication systems; Communications satellites; Radio; Satellite communication
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00072600
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: Conf Rec Paper 29C
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 31 1974 12:00AM