ROADWAY LIGHTING: ILLUMINATION STUDY OF ROUTE I95, SHIRLEY HIGHWAY
This report is concerned with a study of the quantity and uniformity of the illumination on some selected sections of the roadway lighting on Rte. I-95 in Northern Virginia. the evaluation of the lighting was made to obtain data that could be used as a guide for the selection and design of future lighting systems or for possible modification of existing systems. The illumination data were collected with a photometric recording system that was developed specifically for the study. This equipment, which is described in the report, is mounted in a vehicle such that data can be recorded while driving through the area being surveyed. These data were used to develop isofootcandle diagrams which show the distribution of the illumination over the roadway area. In addition, average illumination levels and uniformity determinations were calculated from these data. The results indicated that the main line lighting on Rte. I-95 was excellent and was generally well within the recommended design standards for uniformity and average maintained levels of illumination. The uniformity of the lighting on the loop type ramps having the lamp posts located on the inside of curvature was generally not good--although better on some ramps than on others. These and other inadequacies of the system are discussed in the report.
- Record URL:
Virginia Highway and Transportation Research CouncilCharlottesville, VA United States
Virginia Department of HighwaysTraffic and Planning Division, 1221 East Broad Street
Richmond, VA United States 23219
- Hilton, M H
- Publication Date: 1976-7
- Pagination: 45 p.
- TRT Terms: Data collection; Design standards; Illuminating engineering; Measurement; Photometers; Ramps; Standardization; Street lighting
- Old TRIS Terms: Illumination engineering
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; I85: Safety Devices used in Transport Infrastructure;
- Accession Number: 00392150
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: VHTRC 77-R4 Intrm Rpt.
- Files: NTL, TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jun 30 1985 12:00AM