METHODOLOGY FOR EVALUATING THE ESTHETICS OF BRIDGE DESIGNS
Presented is a systematic method for determining the esthetic appeal of bridge designs by the use of paired line drawings in which one visual factor at a time is varied. These paired drawings are used for judging. The results of a survey taken show that esthetic perference is generally given to such factors as simplicity, slimness, symmetry, and harmony with the site.
Virginia Highway and Transportation Research CouncilCharlottesville, VA United States
Virginia Department of HighwaysTraffic and Planning Division, 1221 East Broad Street
Richmond, VA United States 23219
- Zuk, W
- Publication Date: 1972-12
- Pagination: 42 p.
- TRT Terms: Aesthetics; Bridge design; Bridges; Methodology; Structural design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Criteria
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Highways; I24: Design of Bridges and Retaining Walls;
- Accession Number: 00392137
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: VHTRC 72-RP1 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jun 30 1985 12:00AM