CORRELATION OF CONCRETE TIE TRACK PERFORMANCE IN REVENUE SERVICE AND AT THE FACILITY FOR ACCELERATED SERVICE TESTING--VOLUME II: PREDICTIONS AND EVALUATIONS OF TRACK SETTLEMENT
Predictions and evaluations of settlement were made for revenue and the Facility for Accelerated Service Testing (FAST) track, both containing concrete and wood tie sections. The ballast physical state were investigated by field tests done before and after track maintenance. Borings were also taken to identify the subgrade conditions. The stress-dependent elastic and inelastic ballast behaviors were derived from repeated load triaxial tests and a ballast box device. Triaxial tests were also performed on the subgrade soils. A computer model, GEITRACK, was used to estimate the stresses and deformations in the track foundations. In addition, revenue site track modulus values predicted with GEOTRACK were compared to measured values. Predictions of track settlement were then made based upon the laboratory test results and stresses estimated using the computer model. The predicted values were compared to field measurements obtained using ballast instrumentation and surveying from benchmarks. The predicted settlements were of the same order as the measured values, however, some differences in trends were observed. A discussion of the factors that were not included in the methodology is presented, along with the implications of these factors on track performance.
- Record URL:
University of Massachusetts, AmherstDepartment of Civil and Environmental Engineering
130 Natural Resources Road
Amherst, MA United States 01003
Washington, DC United States 20590
- STEWART, H E
- Selif, E T
- Publication Date: 1984-8
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 131 p.
- TRT Terms: Computer programs; Concrete; Concrete ties; Deformation; Maintenance of way; Railroad ties; Railroad tracks; Subgrade (Pavements); Validation; Wood ties
- Uncontrolled Terms: Track stiffness
- Old TRIS Terms: Track deformation; Track structures; Wooden cross ties
- Subject Areas: Public Transportation; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00391620
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA-ORD-82/44.2 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: R-4146(7187)-090
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 30 1985 12:00AM