DESCRIPTION OF VOLVO PRODUCER GAS SYSTEM FOR CARS
A page at the beginning of the document lists the important characteristics of the system. While it is suitable for engines with a stroke volume of 1.5 to 2.5 liters, it can be adapted for larger engines. The producer gas plant is a complete unit mounted on a pivot trailer. The conversion time for the Volvo 140 series is approximately 4 hours. The fuel is made up of wood chips from the cellulose industry packed in hundred liter paper bags, weighing approximately 20 kilograms. The gross laden weight increases about 140 kilograms, while the producer gas equipment weighs about 170 kilograms. The driving range for each fuel load is, for the Volvo 144, approximately 80 kilometers or just over an hour. In general, producer gas reduces engine output by approximately 50 percent. The rest of the document is technical information. Part 2 describes the principal chemical reactions occurring in the production of the gas, the different kinds of gas generators, and various kinds of cooling and cleaning systems. Part 3 describes the dimensions of the combustion chamber, the shape of the fuel container, and the performance of the engine. This includes its power, its gas consumption, and the temperature of the gas, which are displayed on several graphs.
VOLVO (FIRM) VOLVO, AB VOLVE, BUS DIVISIONS.L.:
- Sorensson, S
- Publication Date: 1974
- Features: Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 31 p.
- TRT Terms: Chemical reactions; Coal gasification; Combustion chambers; Fuel consumption; Vehicle power plants; Wood chips
- Old TRIS Terms: Automobile engines; Gas generating systems
- Subject Areas: Energy; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00072240
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transportation Systems Center
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 16 1977 12:00AM