DESIGN OF URBAN STREETS. TECHNOLOGY SHARING REPORT
The report on design of urban streets was prepared as the participant's notebook for a four and a half day training course of the same title which has been conducted for a number of Federal, state, and local agencies. The report provides practical, state-of-the-art information to aid in design and operation of streets and highways, with emphasis on functional, operational, and safety aspects of design which apply to minor design revisions as well as to major reconstruction and new construction. Following an introduction containing a general course description, objectives, organization and materials, schedule, and procedures, the following topics are covered: the conceptual approach to urban street design; planning the urban street system; traffic studies; capacity and maximizing techniques; street and intersection design elements; freeway interchange elements; traffic signal design and operations; roadway illumination; traffic signs and marking; pedestrian and bicycle facilities; transit and high occupancy vehicles; and other design considerations. Social and economic impacts of design are reviewed, as well as environmental factors and assessments, evaluation of alternatives, preparation and review of preconstruction documents, contract administration, and management of urban street programs. A course summary and evaluation form are provided.
- Instructor's guide is also available.
JHK & Associates,
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Reilly, W R
- Kell, J H
- Fullerton, I J
- Publication Date: 1980
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 508 p.
- TRT Terms: Administration; Bikeways; City planning; Environmental impacts; High occupancy vehicles; Highway design; Highway traffic control; Interchanges; Intersections; Management; Pedestrians; Road markings; Socioeconomic factors; State of the art studies; Street lighting; Streets; Traffic signals; Traffic signs
- Uncontrolled Terms: Street design
- Old TRIS Terms: Street intersections; Traffic marking
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Environment; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Pedestrians and Bicyclists; Safety and Human Factors; Society; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00390972
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-TS-80-204, HS-028 681
- Files: HSL, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 30 1984 12:00AM