THE EFFECT OF COARSE-AGGREGATE TYPE ON CRCP THICKNESS
The effect of coarse-aggregate type on CRCP performance is analyzed in this report by using laboratory data and condition survey information in conjunction with design equations and a distress-prediction model for CRCP. Three different approaches were followed to estimate thickness equivalencies for continuously reinforced concrete pavements constructed with the two coarse aggregates most commonly available in Texas: crushed limestone and siliceous river gravel. The first approach is based on the AASHTO equation for design of rigid pavements, which can also be used for jointed concrete pavements. The second and third methods rely on models developed through statistical analyses of CRCP condition survey data collected in the State of Texas. Condition survey information shows that, for similar conditions, limestone CRC pavements exhibit less distress than CRCP pavements constructed with siliceous river gravel. A similar observation was made for thickness equivalencies obtained; i.e., less slab thickness than siliceous river gravel. Findings developed herein could be used to determine approximate equivalent thicknesses for the two aggregate types considered in this study if there is no need for a detailed analysis. Additionally, by using the recommended thickness equivalencies, the contractor could have enough information to estimate costs of construction of a CRCP section when he is allowed to employ either limestone or siliceous river gravel coarse aggregate. Examples for the application of equivalent thicknesses are provided in order to facilitate the implementation of the results of the various analyses carried out in this report. (FHWA)
- Study conducted in cooperation with the Federal Highway Administration, Research Study Title: Implementation of Rigid Pavement Overlay and Design System.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
Texas State Department of Highways & Public TransportationTransportation Planning Division, P.O. Box 5051
Austin, TX United States 78763
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Torres-Verdin, V
- McCullough, B F
- Peck, G B
- Publication Date: 1983-11
- Pagination: 77 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Coarse aggregates; Continuously reinforced concrete pavements; Costs; Crushed limestone; Defects; Design; Gravel; Pavement distress; Pavements; Silicates; Thickness
- Uncontrolled Terms: Pavement thickness
- Old TRIS Terms: Design costs
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Finance; Geotechnology; Highways; Pavements; I22: Design of Pavements, Railways and Guideways; I36: Aggregates;
- Accession Number: 00390269
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-TX-84-47+249-7 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: 3-8-79-249
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Dec 30 1984 12:00AM