CONSIDERATIONS CONCERNING A EUROPEAN NETWORK OF MAIN TRAFFIC ARTERIES
This paper presents the view of the German Federal Ministry of Transport on European traffic networks and their future development. The opinions expressed are to be considered as a basis for discussion rather than final proposals. Networks considered are railways, roads, particularly long-distance trunk roads designed for high speed travel, airports (for both intra- and extra-European travel), waterways and new technologies (air cushion and magnetic levitation vehicles). The integration of different networks and the division of traffic among them are extremely important. To predict the modal split, demand forecasts must be subdivided to indicate types of traffic and demand elasticities. Advanced wheel/rail technology, new tracked technologies, and aircraft developments are reviewed. Surface transportation systems are not likely to be profitable if for passenger traffic only. Careful forcasting and regional planning will be necessary for final transport development decisions on a European basis.
Ministry of Transport, West GermanyBundesminister fuer Verkehr (BMV)
- Publication Date: 1973-5
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 23 p.
- TRT Terms: Airports; Foreign; Freight transportation; High density; High speed track; Intelligent transportation systems; International trade; Modal split; Network analysis (Planning); Networks; Passenger transportation; Planning; Primary highways; Railroads; Regional transportation; Research projects; Roads; Routes; Technology; Traffic forecasting; Transportation; Transportation planning; Waterways
- Candidate Terms: Road networks
- Geographic Terms: Europe
- Old TRIS Terms: Advanced systems; High density routes; Transportation technology; Waterways (Transportation)
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00072088
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transportation Systems Center
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 10 1975 12:00AM