HUMAN FACTORS DESIGN OF DYNAMIC VISUAL AND AUDITORY DISPLAYS FOR METROPOLITAN TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT. VOLUME 1. SUMMARY REPORT. FINAL REPORT AUGUST 78-DECEMBER 80
This report summarizes the findings and design implications of a series of research studies with respect to parameters of dynamic visual displays (Changeable Message Signs) and auditory displays (Highway Advisorty Radio). Laboratory, proving ground and field studies were conducted. Dynamic visual display factors investigated have been classified into five areas: message factors, character factors, accentuation factors, dynamic factors, and visibility factors. In-situ controlled field studies were conducted to validate findings from previous HAR laboratory studies. Specific areas investigated were: language style, information load, redundancy, description of alternate routes, and advance road sign for radio tuning.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
- Dudek, C L
- Huchingson, R D
- Publication Date: 1982-5
- Pagination: 113 p.
- TRT Terms: Driver information systems; Field studies; Human factors; Information display systems; Laboratory studies; Pavement grooving; Radio; Traffic control devices; Variable message signs; Visibility
- Old TRIS Terms: Displays; Highway advisory
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors; I73: Traffic Control;
- Accession Number: 00390015
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Energy Research Abstracts
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 30 1984 12:00AM