EVAPORATIVE COOLERS FOR TRANSIT BUSES. VOLUME I--DESIGN, DEVELOPMENT, TESTING AND EVALUATION
The Regional Transportation District (RTD) of Denver, Colorado has been investigating and developing the application of evaporative cooling to urban transit coaches since 1979. Denver and most of the semi-arid western U.S. experience an ideal climate to take advantage of this method of cooling. Several types of evaporative coolers including recreational vehicle units and some developed by RTD have been tested by RTD. In 1982, based upon this work, a set of specifications was written to develop a design particularly for use on buses, under an UMTA grant. An evaporative cooling contractor was selected to develop three design concepts as far as the prototype stage. A university research institute was selected to do the testing. Two of the concepts were built as prototypes and installed on two buses. A third concept was built as a bench-scale test unit. The two prototyes were tested in Tucson in October and November of 1982 under three operating conditions: first, with the coach parked and running, second, with the coach operating on typical routes without passengers; and third, in routine revenue service. Test results and analyses are discussed in detail in routine revenue service. Tests results and analyses are discussed in detail in the body of this report along with design concepts and the engineering of the prototypes. The prototype coolers designed and built under this project have been extensively tested, providing a documented demonstration of the capacity and capability to effectively cool a transit coach in typical revenue service. In low humidity climates, this technology affords an opportunity to increase passenger comfort at a cost well below that of conventional mechanical air conditioning as reparted in the life cycle cost analysis included in this report. cost analysis included in this report.
- See Volume II, UMTA-CO-06-0012-83-2.
Regional Transportation District1600 Blake Street
Denver, CO United States 80202
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Butz, J R
- Mattil, J F
- Publication Date: 1983-6
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 302 p.
- TRT Terms: Air conditioning systems; Analysis; Arid land; Buses; Costs; Evaporators; Humidity; Systems engineering; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis
- Geographic Terms: Denver (Colorado)
- Old TRIS Terms: Arid region; Bus design; Low humidity
- Subject Areas: Design; Finance; Public Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00389882
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-CO-06-0012-83-1Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: UMTA-CO-06-0012
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 30 1984 12:00AM