EVALUATION REPORT: TRACK CONDITIONS, TRAINING, AND INSPECTION PROCEDURES FOR THE NEW YORK CITY RAPID TRANSIT SYSTEM APRIL 9-20, 1984
During April 1984, Federal investigators undertook an evaluation of several aspects of the track maintenance program of the New York City Transit Authority (NYCTA). Three important elements of the track program were examined: training, inspection, and track conditions. A sound track maintenance program must be founded on a cadre of people who know how to maintain track and who understand the importance of their role in achieving a successful track maintenance program. The portion of this report dealing with training evaluates, on the basis of limited exposure, how well NYCTA is fulfilling its training obligations. The second area involved NYCTA inspection procedures. An effective inspection program carried out by adequately trained inspectors will generate the necessary information to permit immediate action by maintenance crews to avoid traffic interruptions and give adequate warning of major track work requirements so that program work can be scheduled. The existing inspection system used by the NYCTA falls short of these basic objectives and recommendations are presented. The final area of involvement was an evaluation of actual track conditions, the major effort of Federal inspectors. Approximately 15 percent of the system's main track mileage was selected for detailed inspection. It covered each of the six operating subdivisions on all three divisions. In all, 100.21 miles of track were examined.
Urban Mass Transportation AdministrationOffice of Safety and Security, 400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1984-5-25
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 103 p.
- TRT Terms: Inspection; Maintenance of way; Rail transit facilities; Railroad tracks; Safety; Standards; Training
- Identifier Terms: New York City Transit Authority
- Uncontrolled Terms: Safety standards
- Old TRIS Terms: Track inspection; Track standards
- Subject Areas: Education and Training; Maintenance and Preservation; Public Transportation; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00389880
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 30 1984 12:00AM