FIELD TEST OF THE MOTORCYCLE RIDER COURSE
A large-scale field test evaluated the instructional effectiveness, user acceptance, and administrative feasibility of the Motorcycle Rider Course (MRC). Assessment involved use of knowledge tests, on-cycle performance measures, attitude/opinion questionnaires, and tests of street riding skills. For the September 1977-October 1979 period, 50 class sections of the MRC were conducted through the Jefferson County Public School System, near Denver, Colorado. Over 600 students, ranging in age from 16 to 72, were enrolled in the course. Students, parents, instructors, and school administrators were involved in the evaluation process. Results indicate that course graduates acquired the basic skills and knowledge required for street riding; that the MRC is administratively feasible in terms of its schedule, costs, and demands placed upon instructors, students and facilities; that students and instructors found the course to be a valuable and enjoyable experience; and that school administrators and parents approve of the course. It was also concluded that in a course for novice riders, on-street training is not required to develop entry-level skills and knowledge, and that quality rider training need not be "given away", since students are more than willing to pay a modest course fee. Course applicants with some riding experience can be pre-tested and assigned to a shorter version of the course if appropriate. Incentives and/or requirements for novice riders to enroll in MRC training programs are recommended; relatively few riders will enlist voluntarily. Research is recommended to produce more effective training exercises for emergency stopping and evasive maneuvers.
- Conference held in Washington, D.C., 18-23 May 1980. Also published in HS-029 660, International Motorcycle Safety Conference Proceedings. Volume 1, p 195-219.
Motorcycle Safety Foundation780 Elkridge Landing Road
Linthicum, MD United States 21090
- Thackray Jr, R M
- Prescott, J C
- Publication Date: 1980
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 25 p.
- TRT Terms: Driver training; Incentives; Motor skills; Motorcyclists; Specifications
- Uncontrolled Terms: Requirement
- Subject Areas: Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00389635
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: HS-029 668
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-7-1635
- Files: HSL, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 30 1984 12:00AM