This command paper outlines the government's proposals for major changes to arrangements for the bus industry with a view to giving better service to the passengers at less cost to the ratepayer and the tax payer. The changes concern: - abolition of road service licensing throughout the United Kingdom (except for the framework of controls in London which will be retained for the time being); - increased supervision of the quality and safety standards of public service vehicles and operators; - continued subsidies by local authorities for bus routes which are not viable, but local authorities will be required to seek competitive tenders; - continuation of concessionary fare schemes with all operators being enabled to participate in them; - additional support by the government for transport in rural areas, and study of the wider use of services run by education, health and social service authorities, the post office and others; - changes in the structure of the bus industry with a strong tendency towards privatisation and competition; - licensed taxis and hired cars will be allowed to carry passengers at separate fares in certain circumstances; - problems affecting the bus industry in Scotland are treated in a separate chapter.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/0101930003
- Prepared in cooperation with the Scottish Office.
Her Majesty Stationary Office49 High Holborn
London WC1V 6HB, England
Department for Transport, EnglandGreat Minster House, 76 Marsham Street
London, England SW1P 4DR
- Publication Date: 1984
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 78 p.
- TRT Terms: Administration; Bus transit; Buses; Competition; Coordination; Deregulation; Districts and authorities; Federal government; Improvements; Legislation; Level of service; Local government; Local government agencies; Organizations; Policy; Private enterprise; Public transit; Quality control; Quality of service; Rural areas; Safety; Social service agencies; Sociology; Specifications; Subsidies; Surveillance; Tariffs; Taxicabs; Tenders; Transportation departments; Urban areas
- Uncontrolled Terms: Modifications; Quality
- Geographic Terms: United Kingdom
- Old TRIS Terms: Bus services; Government policies
- ITRD Terms: 155: Administration; 287: Attractiveness (transp); 137: Bid; 1272: Bus; 235: Competition; 1282: Electric vehicle; 244: Financing; 232: Fuel consumption; 183: Government (national); 9108: Improvement; 227: Investment; 1556: Legislation; 653: Level of service; 192: Local authority; 9105: Mobility (pers); 9048: Modification; 221: Operating costs; 1144: Operations (transp network); 9057: Organization (association); 958: Park and ride; 744: Public transport; 9063: Quality; 328: Rural area; 2253: Sociology; 177: Specifications; 9101: Surveillance; 241: Tariff; 1148: Taxi; 137: Tender; 8526: Textbook; 253: Transport authority; 8119: United Kingdom; 313: Urban area
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Law; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00389316
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
- ISBN: 0 10 193000 3
- Report/Paper Numbers: CMND 9300
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 30 1984 12:00AM