TRACKED TRANSPORT SYSTEMS OF THE FUTURE: STATE-OF-THE-ART AND DEVELOPMENT IN EUROPE IN 1973
SPURGEBUNDENE VERKEHRSSYSTEME DER ZUKUNFT STAND UND ENTWICKLUNG IN EUROPA 1973
The report gives an overview of the existing tracked transport systems and of the techniques available. It outlines the state of development of technical components. It reviews planning and research in Germany and in 15 other European nations and also studies undertaken by European and international organizations. The report concludes that by the end of the century a tracked high efficiency rapid transport system will be an economic and social necessity in Europe. Such a system could be based on several technical solutions, specifically on the wheel-on-track system, air cushion or magnetic levitation. It is very important that European nations collaborate rather than compete in the research for the best technical and economical solutions. Planning should start immediately for the anticipated future European structure of population and economy. The network for a future high efficiency rapid transport system should be determined. Projections for passenger and freight transport in such a network should be made and speed limits should be determined.
Ministry of Transport, West GermanyBundesminister fuer Verkehr (BMV)
- Publication Date: 1973-10
- Pagination: 45 p.
- TRT Terms: Cost effectiveness; High speed rail; Intelligent transportation systems; Magnetic levitation; Rapid transit; Technology; Tracked air cushion vehicles; Urban transportation
- Geographic Terms: Germany
- Old TRIS Terms: Advanced systems
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00072005
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transportation Systems Center
- Report/Paper Numbers: A8/16.50.10-F
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 6 1981 12:00AM