PROGRAM FOR IMPROVING LOCAL PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION
KONZEPT ZUR VERBESSERUNG DES OEFFENTLICHEN PERSONENNAVERKEHR
An outline is given of the present situation of public transportation in Germany and of future planning here and in other industralized nations. Measures for improvement include defining a policy for supporting public transportation, considering the role of federal, state and local governments, and including definitions of necessary investments, projections until 1985 and financing through the public transportation finance act of 1971. The study investigates the allocation of economic costs and recommends strengthening the economic efficiency of transportation enterprises and possible subsidies for the social benefits offered. The study favors reduction of oil taxes and possible elimination of income taxes for public service enterprises. It also purpose greater consideration of transportation planning within general planning legislation. Transport laws should favor public transportation; urban traffic should be relieved and rush hour traffic reduced through staggered work hours. The study recommends strong support of research on urban transport. An appendix contains four bills on transport and one investment projection.
Ministry of Transport, West GermanyBundesminister fuer Verkehr (BMV)
- Publication Date: 1972
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 82 p.
- Issue Number: 41
- TRT Terms: Economics; Financing; Improvements; Investments; Laws; Public transit; Regulation; Staggered work hours; Subsidies; Transportation planning
- Old TRIS Terms: Government intervention
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Highways; Law; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Society;
- Accession Number: 00072004
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transportation Systems Center
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 22 1975 12:00AM