APPRAISAL OF INVESTMENTS IN LONG DISTANCE PASSENGER TRANSPORT OF GERMAN FEDERAL RAILWAY AND IN AIR TRANSPORT WITHIN THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF GERMANY UP TO 1980, BASED ON A COST-BENEFIT ANALYSIS
DIE BEURTEILUNG VON INVESTITIONEN IM FERNREISEVERKEHR DER DEUTSCHEN BUNDESBHAN UND IM LUFTVERKEHR DER BUNDESREPUBLIK DEUTSCHLAND BIS 1980 AUF DER GRUNDLAGE DER KOSTEN-NUTZEN-ANALYSE
The study was designed to produce a decision making tool to help in the appropriate allocation of public funds to long distance passenger transport. The essential parts of the study were stock-taking, analysis, and forecast of supply and demand in rail-bound long distance travel and in domestic air travel within the Federal Republic of Germany. On this basis, possible development and extension alternatives were evaluated in terms of their costs and benefits. Taking the traffic flows resulting from the various levels of development as a point of departure the study in terms of a cost benefit comparison was restricted to the extreme situations: Situation 1: Maintaining the present development level of rail and air transport; Situation 2: Exclusive development of the Federal Railways' long distance network; Situations 3: Exclusive development of the regional air transport network; Situation 4: Simmutaneous development of both networks. These situations were combined in such a way as to form eight variants. Specific costs of transport, travel times, and effects on the environment as derived from the capital investments were assigned to each variant. Estimates of traffic volume and of journey length were used to calculate transport service and its cost for each variant. It became evident that by investing in rail transport considerable savings over the present situation could be achieved. Investments in air transport, on the other hand, will result in sizeable cost increases.
- This is a 2 volume set. Volume 1 includes a detailed abstract in English. Volume 2 includes the references and appendices.
Battelle Memorial InstituteColumbus, OH United States
- Publication Date: 1970
- Features: References; Tables;
- Pagination: 639 p.
- Issue Number: 40
- TRT Terms: Benefit cost analysis; Cost effectiveness; Intercity travel; Mode choice; Passenger service; Policy
- Identifier Terms: Deutsche Bahn; Deutsche Bundesbahn
- Old TRIS Terms: Government policies
- Subject Areas: Passenger Transportation; Policy; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00072001
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transportation Systems Center
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 6 1975 12:00AM