ATA RAIL TRANSIT CONFERENCE HELD IN SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA ON APRIL 14 AND 16, 1974. CAR EQUIPMENT SESSIONS. PAPERS
Two of the papers concern the BART maintenance philosophy and their scheduled and unscheduled maintenance, rail vehicle inspection, diagnostic procedures and vehicle warranties as well as personnel training and tools and materials. The paper by Jeffrey Mora discusses the AC motor versus D.C. motor demonstration project conducted on three Cleveland Transit System rail cars. Mr. Lawson discusses a current study of the use of a kinetic energy flywheel as an efficient energy storage system and his intention to demonstrate this system in San Francisco Muni electric trolley coaches. The paper by J. R. Vollmar discusses the merits, costs and problems of electric locomotive versus multiple unit electric trains in both commuter and inter-city service.
- Prepared by Lockheed Missiles and Space Co., Inc., Bay Area Rapid Transit District, Urban Mass Transportation Administration, and Louis T. Klauder and Associates. Paper copy also available in set of 3 reports as PB-234 823-SET, PC$12.00.
American Transit Association465 L'Enfant Plaza West, SW
Washington, DC United States 20024
- LAWSON, L J
- Presho, W J
- Venturato, A
- Mora, J G
- Vollmar, J R
- Publication Date: 1974-8
- Pagination: 74 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternating current motors; Direct current motors; Electric automobiles; Electric locomotives; Electric vehicles; Energy storage systems; Flywheels; Light rail vehicles; Maintenance practices; Motors; Rapid transit cars; Traction; Training; Urban transportation
- Candidate Terms: Traction drives
- Identifier Terms: San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District
- Subject Areas: Education and Training; Energy; Maintenance and Preservation; Public Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00071843
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: ATA/RT-74/1
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 19 1981 12:00AM