RAILROAD ACCIDENT REPORT: NEW YORK CENTRAL RAILROAD COMPANY TRAIN 1/NY-4 EXTRA 2020 EAST AND TRAIN ND-5 EXTRA 5305 WEST HEAD-ON COLLISION NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK MAY 22, 1967
The accident occurred on the West 30th Street branch of the New York Central Railroad at approximately 147th Street, New York, New York, at about 9:55 A.M. on May 22, 1967. The collision occurred on Track No. 1, which was being used that morning for train movement in both directions due to repairs which were being conducted on main Track No. 2. Six train service employees were killed, and three train service employees were injured. Six locomotives and 11 cars were destroyed, one locomotive extensively damaged and five cars were also damaged. The probable cause of this accident was the failure of the operator at the 72nd Street Station (DO) to restrict train ND-5.
Washington, DC United States 20594
- Publication Date: 1968-1-24
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 37 p.
- TRT Terms: Crash investigation; Crash reports; Crashes; Operating rules; Signaling
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00071838
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Transportation Safety Board
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 20 1976 12:00AM