ASSESSMENT OF QUALITY-OF-WORK-LIFE PROGRAMS FOR THE TRANSIT INDUSTRY. RESEARCH REPORT
This report documents a review of quality of work life, programs and concept; an evaluation of the transit environment; and and assessment for potential applications within transit agencies. A companion document (NCTRP Report 6) contains model programs to guide the initiation and maintenance of quality-of-work-life programs for a transit agency. The political and fiscal environment of transit agencies is in a period of significant change. Scarcity of funds will mean an emphasis on productivity and efforts to retain and motivate quality employees. New federal policies stressing local initiative will encourage management to be more sensitive to innovative ideas, and a changing work force will make different demands. Although the transit industry is highly labor-intensive, a great deal of emphasis has been placed in the past on capital development, financial controls, and transportation planning. Potentially, one of the most important areas for improving transit agency effectiveness is the development and management of human resources. Quality-of-work-life programs can provide such an opportunity by stressing the importance of the individual as well as the productive gains to the agency. The results of this study have been published in two reports. This report, the main research document, includes an overview of the summary of findings; a main text that thoroughly documents the study effort and recommendations; and several appendixes that provide a master list of references, a selected annotated bibliography, case studies and summary results of a survey of transit agencies. A single table conveniently documents current activity in various industries.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/07324839
- Distribution, posting, or copying of this PDF is strictly prohibited without written permission of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials in this PDF are copyrighted by the National Academy of Sciences. Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Clark, S G
- Warren, K D
- Greisinger, G
- Publication Date: 1983-12
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 99 p.
- NCTRP Report
- Issue Number: 5
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- ISSN: 0732-4839
- TRT Terms: Committees; Human factors; Incentives; Job analysis; Labor relations; Labor unions; Management; Motivation; Productivity; Quality circles; Quality of life; Supervision
- Uncontrolled Terms: Task force
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; I10: Economics and Administration;
- Accession Number: 00386406
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB
- Created Date: Jun 28 1984 12:00AM