REGRESSION ANALYSIS OF TEST DATA, WITH AN APPLICATION TO SERIES 60
The statistical theory of a multiple linear regression analysis, in which terms are entered into a model equation one at a time in descending order of importance, is presented. A method is developed whereby the least squares solution after each term has been inserted may be obtained by the use of an orthogonal space representation. The application of the descending stepwise regression technique to practical problems is described. An example is given for the problem of predicting a ship's resistance from methodical series model tests. The data are taken from the Series 60 model tests made at a speed-length ratio of 0.80.
- Presented at Los Angeles Section of Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ USA 07306-2907
- Sirutis, J E
- Publication Date: 1970-2
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 34 p.
- TRT Terms: Fluid resistance; Ship motion; Ships
- Old TRIS Terms: Model testing
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00019627
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 25 1973 12:00AM