FINANCING ROADS AND STREETS IN CANADA-IDEAS FOR THE U.S.
The presentation published here constitutes two appendices of a May 1981 report, "A Presentation by the Ontario Motor League to Members of the Ontario Cabinet concerning the Taxation of Motorists in Ontario, 1980". Appendix B, "Federal Provincial/Municipal Responsibilities for Roadways", examine how the three levels of government in Canada divide their responsibilities for roadways. Three measures of government involvement were considered: the responsibility for roadways in terms of kilometers, expenditures made for the provision and serving of roadways, and the actual financial burden assumed. Appendix D, "The Taxation of Motorists", assesses the aggregate burden placed on motorists by taxation by examining the taxation of motorists by all three levels of government and comparing the relative status of Ontario motorists with motorists in other provinces.
- This paper was presented at the 68th Annual Road School, Purdue University, March 9-11, 1982.
Purdue UniversitySchool of Aeronautics and Astronautics
West Lafayette, IN United States 47907
- Laviolette, L
- Publication Date: 1982
- Features: Appendices; Tables;
- Pagination: p. 31-39
- Engineering Bulletin of Purdue University
- Issue Number: 153
- Publisher: Purdue University
- TRT Terms: Costs; Expenditures; Financing; Foreign; Governments; Highways; Local government
- Uncontrolled Terms: Mileage; Responsibilities
- Subject Areas: Finance; Highways; I10: Economics and Administration;
- Accession Number: 00382958
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 30 1984 12:00AM