PAVEMENT SURFACE CHARACTERISTICS AND MATERIALS
The papers in this Special Technical Publication fall into two general categories: measuring and predicting pavement skid resistance characteristics; and strategies for reducing wet weather accidents on highways. The two topics are related since a wet weather safety program is dependent, among other things, on a good skid resistant pavement surface, which in turn requires methods to test, describe, and predict its characteristics. The papers include a comparison of macrotexture measurements, a method to describe texture characteristics beyond a one number descriptor, methods to predict friction performance and accident risk, and methods used in implementing a safety improvement program.
- A symposium sponsored by ASTM Committees E-17 on Traveled Surface Characteristics and D-4 on Road and Paving Materials, Orlando, Florida, 11 December 1980. Includes HS-035 452--HS-035 458.
American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)100 Barr Harbor Drive, P.O. Box C700
West Conshohocken, PA United States 19428-2957
- Publication Date: 1982
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 124 p.
- ASTM Special Technical Publications
- Publisher: American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
- TRT Terms: Conferences; Forecasting; Improvements; Measurement; Pavements; Safety; Safety programs; Skid resistance; Skid resistance tests; Skidding; Surface course (Pavements); Texture; Traffic safety; Wet weather
- Uncontrolled Terms: Wet pavements
- Subject Areas: Highways; Pavements; Safety and Human Factors; I23: Properties of Road Surfaces; I82: Accidents and Transport Infrastructure;
- Accession Number: 00381287
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: STP 763, HS-035 451, HS-035 452
- Files: HSL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 29 1984 12:00AM