RURAL MANAGEMENT ASSISTANCE PROJECT: PARATRANSIT CASE STUDIES
Case studies of four paratransit systems in Pennsylvania were made to provide a description of the process of development and historical basis for each project, along with an evaluation of the performance of the systems with respect to their original goals and objectives. The Bureau of Public Transit and Goods Movement Systems of Pennsylvania Department of Transportation is interested in how these projects performed with respect to the Commonwealth's overall goals of fostering rural public transportation and in coordinating agency transportation. Each of the four systems is quite distinct, representing differing conditions and opportunities that may not be applicable to other areas. One is a fixed-route work trip system for factory workers in a 4-county area. The second is a consortium of social agencies serving a 6-county area. The third is a private non-profit brokerage system for coordinating service for the transportation disadvantaged of a single county. The fourth is a cooperative effort between social service agencies and taxi operators for contracted shared rides. Each system has made changes since its beginning. All are attempting to provide rural public fare-paying transport. Each case study is in five major sections: Introduction; How and why project started; Initial operations, Evolution to the present; and Summary of findings.
Carter, Goble, Roberts, Incorporated,
Harrisburg, PA United States 17120
Office of the Secretary of Transportation1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1981-1
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: v.p.
- TRT Terms: Aged; Brokerage; Fares; Fixed routes; Paratransit services; Persons with disabilities; Rural areas; Social service agencies; Transportation disadvantaged persons; Transportation planning; Work trips
- Geographic Terms: Pennsylvania
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Society; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00387698
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-I-83-22 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Aug 30 2003 12:00AM