FIBER PAVE POLYPROPYLENE FIBER FOR HIGHWAY APPLICATIONS
A new product that uses short polypropylene fibers to reinforce asphalt is described. It is claimed that this product is 30 times stronger than straight asphalt, has superior retention, workability and longevity. Cold mix patches are said to have lasted from several weeks to, with proper hold preparation, two winters. The polypropylene fibers form a dense reinforced matrix in the asphalt mixture that increased its hold on aggregate and improves adhesion to the sides of the pothole. Traffic compacts the material. If a more permanent patch is desired, a tack coat and hot tar overlay are used on top of the cold mix. The treatment has proven especially effective on bridge decks and with holes that are pumping. The successful use of this material on the New York State Thruway is described.
- Manufactures Product Brochure.
Hercules IncorporatedFiber Pave Marketing, Rm 12312-SE 1 Hercules Plaza
Wilmington, DE United States 17899
- Publication Date: 1983
- Features: Figures; Photos; Tables;
- Pagination: v.p.
- TRT Terms: Asphalt; Bridge decks; Cold mix paving mixtures; Fibers; Overlays (Pavements); Patching; Polypropylene; Potholes (Pavements); Pumps; Workability
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Materials; I33: Other Materials used in Pavement Layers;
- Accession Number: 00381316
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 30 1984 12:00AM