VEHICLE/TRACK INTERACTION ASSESSMENT TECHNIQUES VOLUME II, PART II
This report describes Vehicle/Track Interaction Assessment Techniques (IAT) which are developed to provide standardized procedures and tools in order to: Investigate the dynamic performance of railroad vehicles, and systematically identify and cure dynamic track interaction problems associated with a vehicle. The IAT addresses ten performance issues: hunting, twist and roll, pitch and bounce, yaw and sway, steady-state curving, spiral negotiation, dynamic curving, steady buff and draft, longitudinal train action, and longitudinal impact. The report discusses the test and data analysis procedures required for each performance issue in terms of the control variables from track inputs that are required to create the test environment, the response variable to be measured, the extent of data analysis required, the data handling requirements, the performance indices to be used in interpreting the test results, and the potential test sits. This report is in two parts. Part I is contained in Volume I and covers the overall process of determining vehicle performance issues. Part II, comprised of Volumes II and III, discusses the detailed procedures to be used in the Vehicle/Track Interaction Assessment Techniques.
- Record URL:
- Supporting contractors: Arthur D. Little Inc. (ADL), Battelle Columbus Laboratories (BCL), ENSCO Inc., Kaman Sciences Corp. (KSC), Systems Control Technology (SCT), The Analytic Sciences Corp. (TASC).
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1984-3
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Pagination: 510 p.
- TRT Terms: Data collection; Hunting (Dynamics); Information processing; Longitudinal control; Rail (Railroads); Ride quality; Rolling contact; Steering; Tests; Train track dynamics; Trucks; Wheels
- Old TRIS Terms: Longitudinal dynamics; Slack action
- Subject Areas: Motor Carriers; Public Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00387670
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-FRA-ORD-84/01.2 Final Rpt., DOT-TSC-FRA-84-1.2
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 30 1984 12:00AM