DEVELOPMENT OF STRENGTH IN CEMENTS
This report is divided into two parts: Portland and Sorel Cements. Studies of phosphate doped silicates including thermalanalysis and strength testing of alpha and beta dicalcuim silicate solid solutions were made. Findings relating to stabilization and strength development, chemical makeup of raw mix and fired samples, hydration products, compressive strengths on paste and mortar samples are reported. Tests show that alpha C2S develops C-S-H gel and strength faster than beta-C2S. Also, a greater and faster gel and strength development were obtained for samples prepared from reagent grade chemicals rather than natural materials. Additionally, repeated firings increase gel formation and strength development in beta-C2S samples. Findings are reported of the conditions under which major phases of magnesium oxychloride cement are stable. The precipitation of various solid phases, their transformation with time, and their areas of stability were investigated in a broad concentration range of magnesium chloride and sodium hydroxide. Experimental data includes concentration of reactants, pH values, and analyses of solid phases at various time intervals. In all, four phases, pure or mixed, were identified. (FHWA)
- Yugoslav Joint Board on Scientific and Technological Cooperation, Belgrade, Yugoslavia.
Institut "Rudjer Boskovic"Zagreb, Croatia, Yugoslavia
Department of Transportation1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Matkovic, B
- Publication Date: 1984-5
- Pagination: 40 p.
- TRT Terms: Calcines; Cement; Cement additives; Cement paste; Chemical composition; Compressive strength; Hydration; Magnesium chloride; Magnesium compounds; Mortar; pH value; Phosphates; Portland cement; Silicates; Sodium hydroxide; Soil stabilization; Strength of materials; Terminations; Testing
- Uncontrolled Terms: Stabilization
- Old TRIS Terms: Gelation; Magnesium oxychloride cement; Sorel cements
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; I32: Concrete;
- Accession Number: 00387558
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-83-049 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: Agreement N4(PL 480)
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 28 1984 12:00AM