SUMITOMO-DEVELOPED NAVIGATIONAL 'BRAIN' SYSTEM
An automatic navigation calculation system and an automatic collision avoidance system, which have recently been developed, are described. The navigation system is intended to add precision to the ship's navigational plan and minimize the time needed for its compilation, and the collision avoidance system is aimed at spotting automatically the danger of collision with another ship on the radar screen and having the computer steer the ship away from the collision course well in time. Elements of each system, as well as specific system capabilities, are included and discussed in the article.
Tokyo News Service Limited10 Ginza Nishi, 8-chome, Chuo-ku
- Publication Date: 1973-8
- Pagination: 3 p.
- Volume: 18
- Issue Number: 5
- Publisher: Tokyo News Service Limited
- TRT Terms: Automated vehicle control; Crash avoidance systems; Radar; Voyage management systems
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00056722
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Maritime Research Center, Kings Point
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 15 1974 12:00AM