SINGLE BUOY MOORINGS CAN HELP HANDLE THE NEW MAMMOTH TANKERS--2
The two most active suppliers of SBM's are Imodco International Ltd. and Single Buoy Moorings, Inc. (S.B.M. Inc.), the latter a recent subsidiary of the I.H.C. (Holland) group using Shell designs and technology under license. Design of a buoy is determined by five basic factors; tanker size, wave height, wave period, current, and wind force. Buoys have also been developed by J. Ray McDermott & Co. and by British Petroleum Co. Ltd. Current projects include a buoy supplied by S.B.M. Inc. to Irving Oil Co. Ltd. at Mispec Point, Can., for operation at temperatures down to -30 deg C. Other buoys are being built for use off Durban, South Africa; at the mouth of the Humber estuary in England; and at the new Esso refinery at Singapore. Various designs by Imodco and S.B.M. Inc. are described.
- Hague, B C
- Publication Date: 1969-12
- Pagination: 3 p.
- World Petroleum
- Volume: 40
- Issue Number: 13
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Offshore terminals; Petroleum; Petroleum terminals; Single point moorings
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Marine Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00056680
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: American Petroleum Institute
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 22 1974 12:00AM