The single-buoy mooring complex recently opened at Reunion, a few miles south of Durban and near the two Durban oil refineries, comprises a buoy moored 2.6 km off the coast with a 40 in. undersea pipeline to a tank farm. Tankers of 220,000 dwt will be able to discharge a cargo of crude oil in 24 hours, despite seas with a wave height to 14 ft. On average, no more than 88 days a year are expected to be lost due to weather delays at the Durban SBM. The buoy and pipeline cost R6.7 million, while the tank farm cost a further R3.1 million. An 80% interest is shared by BP, Shell, and Mobil, with the other 20% held by the South African Coal, Oil and Gas Corporation (Sasol).

Media Info

Subject/Index Terms

Filing Info

  • Accession Number: 00056675
  • Record Type: Publication
  • Source Agency: American Petroleum Institute
  • Files: TRIS
  • Created Date: Jul 22 1974 12:00AM