DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRANSPORTATION OF U.S. FOREIGN TRADE: 1970
This survey is sponsored jointly by the Department of Transportation and the Department of the Army, Corps of Engineers, and is being undertaken by the Bureau of the Census. The initial planning phase has been completed, and the data collection phase was started January 1971 by mailing questionnaires to obtain data on imports and exports during the first quarter of 1970. This will be followed by subsequent quarterly mailings, tentatively scheduled for early April, July, and October. The tabulation plans are tentative and will remain fluid for about 6 months, pending review and analysis of the reports of imports and exports during the first half of 1970. The program of reports and release of data also is tentative at this time. This survey is being undertaken primarily to obtain new data on the domestic leg of U.S. foreign trade and to link those new facts with already available information on the international segment of "liner-type" commodity flows. The new data alone are expected to shed substantial light into a very dark statistical area--the origins, destinations, means of transport and distances involved in foreign trade movements within this country. The coupling of the domestic and the international legs of each shipment in the sample will create a new set of data for use in the systematic analysis of commodity flows between the interior of the United States and foreign countries.
- To obtain further information on these tapes contact Bureau of the Census, Data User Services Office, Room 2324, Federal Building #3, Washington, D.C. Telephone 301-7635266.
Bureau of the CensusDepartment of Commerce
Washington, DC USA 20233
- Church, D E
- Publication Date: 1971-1
- Features: Tables;
- Pagination: 23 p.
- TRT Terms: Commodities; Exports; Forecasting; Foreign; Imports; International trade; Statistics
- Old TRIS Terms: Commodity statistics
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00019483
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Bureau of the Census
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 8 1973 12:00AM