INSTANT PIPE LINE IS POSSIBLE WITH FLUOR'S BIG REEL BARGE "RB-2"
'Instant' Pipe Line Is Possible With Fluor's Big New Reel Barge The "RB-2" which was commissioned 3/20/70. The new offshore lay barge, built for Fluor Ocean Services Inc. by todd Shipyards Corp. at the Houston yard, carries a 79.5 ft dia pipe reel mounted horizontally on its bow. It can lay 40 miles of 4 in. pipe at depths to 1200 ft in a single continuous section, or 20 miles of 6 in. pipe to depths of 1000 ft, or 3.5 miles of 12 in. pipe to depths of 500 ft. With a full reel of 12 in. pipe weighing about 2 million pounds and balanced by ballast tanks in the after section, the fully equipped 275 ft by 80 ft barge has a draft of of about 9 ft. Pipelines can be laid at a rate of from 5000 to 10,000 ft/hr. The barge and its operation are described in detail.
Gulf Publishing CompanyBox 2608
Houston, TX United States 77001
- Publication Date: 1970-3
- Pagination: 3 p.
- PIPE LINE INDUSTRY
- Volume: 32
- Issue Number: 3
- TRT Terms: Barges; Construction; Pipe laying; Pipelines
- Candidate Terms: Pipe laying ships
- Old TRIS Terms: Pipeline construction
- Subject Areas: Construction; Marine Transportation; Pipelines; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00056142
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: American Petroleum Institute
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 15 1974 12:00AM