LARGEST LIFT END-ROLLING HATCH COVER COMPLETED
Rolling steel hatch covers for open type bulk carriers are described. These hatch covers cover an area of about 600 square meters and weigh close to 200 tons, and they cover hatches that are about 80% of the vessel's beam and 96% of the hold's over-all length. Specifics of the lifting and driving systems, and the sequence of the hatch cover operation are both explained. Factors causing hatch deformation are given, and the methods adopted for ensuring proper water tightness of the covers, under all circumstances, are fully explained.
Tokyo News Service Limited10 Ginza Nishi, 8-chome, Chuo-ku
- Publication Date: 1973-12
- Pagination: 3 p.
- Volume: 18
- Issue Number: 9
- Publisher: Tokyo News Service Limited
- TRT Terms: Bulk carriers; Distortion (Structures); Hatch covers; Seals (Devices)
- Old TRIS Terms: Hatch cover seals; Hatch distortion
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00054977
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Maritime Research Center, Kings Point
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 15 1974 12:00AM