SFSA: PREVENTING BRITTLE FRACTURE
Prevention of brittle failures in steel castings has been the goal of a technical research program of the Steel Founders' Society of America. SFSA now recommends the results of its research involving the NDTT (Nil Ductility Transition Temperature) concept. A related project involves the relationship between fracture toughness and strength. SFSA sees this pointing toward a new design philosophy of not specifying an absolutely flawless metallurgical structure but enabling an engineer to predict whether or not a flaw of given dimension will cause brittle failure.
Simmons-Boardman Publishing CorporationP.O. Box 350
Bristol, CT United States 06010
- Publication Date: 1973-12
- Pagination: 1 p.
- Railway Locomotives and Cars
- Volume: 147
- Issue Number: 10
- Publisher: Simmons-Boardman Publishing Corporation
- TRT Terms: Casting; Fracture mechanics; Materials science; Steel castings
- Subject Areas: Construction; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00053753
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 26 1976 12:00AM