LOW-SMOKE CABLE MADE FOR SUBWAYS
The Okonite Corporation has started production of its new Okonite-Okoprene VFR/LS (Very Flame Resistant/Low Smoke) jacketed control cable. The cable uses the standard Okoprene insulation, retaining the physical and electrical characteristics of regular railroad signal cable. Smoke emission from either the control or power cable is reduced by approximately 55%, compared with the standard design, when subjected to external flame. The small amount of smoke given off is white and translucent but seems to be of sufficient density to actuate smoke detecting equipment. The new organic jacketing approximately doubles the time required to short-circuit a control cable during flame testing. The new cable is also noted for not showing any candlewick effect.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/oclc/1586268
Simmons-Boardman Publishing CorporationP.O. Box 350
Bristol, CT United States 06010
- Publication Date: 1973-2
- Features: Photos;
- Pagination: 1 p.
- TRT Terms: Cables; Electric insulating materials; Fire resistant coatings; Insulating materials; Safety; Smoke; Subways
- Old TRIS Terms: Low smoke cables
- Subject Areas: Public Transportation; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00051939
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 26 1981 12:00AM