AMTRAK'S FRENCH CONNECTION
Amtrak recently moved to acquire a pair of French five-car, turbine-powered trainsets expected to go in service in the Midwest later this year. The new RTG (Gas turbine trainset) is propelled by a pair of gas turbines driving through hydraulic transmissions to the truck under the lead end of each power car at the train's end. Between the two power cars are three unpowered trailers. In addition to producing 2,280 hp for traction, a smaller turbine in each power car drives a 250-kw auxiliary generator which supplies electric power for all train services -- lighting, heating and air conditioning.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/oclc/1586268
Simmons-Boardman Publishing CorporationP.O. Box 350
Bristol, CT United States 06010
- Houser, F N
- Publication Date: 1973-2
- Features: Photos;
- Pagination: 2 p.
- TRT Terms: Technology; Turbotrains
- Geographic Terms: France
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00051936
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 26 1974 12:00AM