DYNAMICS, SIMULATION AND CONTROL OF WATERJET PROPULSION FOR S.E.S.
A mathematical model of the waterjet propulsion plant for surface effect ships consisting of gas turbine, reduction gear, axial pump, variable flushed inlet, diffuser and fixed nozzle was developed. Control algorithms were also developed for the variable geometry flushed inlet and for the pump RPM, and were tested by digital simulation of the mathematical model. Pump cavitation was included in the model and simulation. The control scheme for the variable flushed inlet involves the maintenance of a diffusion flow pattern about the flushed inlet. The control scheme for the pump involves the maintenance of pump RPM as dictated by the throttle RPM setting. In both control schemes, the rate and hard limits, on the hydraulic actuator for the flushed inlet and on the fuel flow rate of the gas turbine, were considered. Results of real time tests of the developed algorithm are presented.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyDepartment of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering
Cambridge, MA USA 02139
- Bruce, R H
- Publication Date: 1974-5
- TRT Terms: Surface effect ships; Waterjet propelled craft
- Old TRIS Terms: Waterjet propulsion
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00071685
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Report/Paper Numbers: MS Degree
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 12 1974 12:00AM