NONRESIDENT VIOLATORS COMPACT OPERATIONS MANUAL
This manual contains requirements and recommended procedures for those jurisdictions who are members, or who are contemplating becoming members of the Nonresident Violator Compact. The Compact assures nonresident motorists receiving citations for minor traffic violations in a party state the same treatment accorded resident motorists. The contents of this manual represent the product of two workshops sponsored by the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators under contract to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. One workshop was held in Louisville, Ky. in April 1979, the other in Williamsburg, Va. in October 1979. The workshops' prime purpose was to develop an operations manual that would standardize methods utilized by the various jurisdictions in processing nonresident violators receiving citations, and failures to appear or otherwise comply with outstanding moving traffic summons. Background information is given on the history of the Compact, benefits to member states, procedural matters, entry into and withdrawal from the Compact, the Compact process (including internal guidelines for law enforcement personnel, the courts, and the Department of Motor Vehicles), and resolution of ratification. Compact Administrator procedures are outlined. Appended are copies of forms and procedures used by various states regarding traffic violations, and a copy of the Nonresident Violator Compact of 1977.
- Clearinghouse Training Materials. Subject: Nonresident Violator Compact Operations. Format: Manual. Type of Audience: Police Officers, Traffic Courts, Department of Motor Vehicles, Nonresident Violator Compact Administrators.
American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators1201 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC United States 20036
- Publication Date: 1980-7
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 99 p.
- TRT Terms: Interstate compacts; Manuals; States; Traffic violators
- Old TRIS Terms: Nonresident; Nonresident violator compact
- Subject Areas: Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00368431
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: HS-900 063
- Files: HSL, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 30 1982 12:00AM