THE COMBINED TRANSPORTATION AND INVENTORY POLICY DECISION
In most organizations it is common that the determination of inventory policies and the choice of transportation alternatives are done independently. There is an interaction between these decisions, however, when the transportation alternatives have different speed, reliability and cost characteristics. This paper presents a methodology for jointly determining the reorder points, order quantities and transportation alternatives which provide minimum total transportation and inventory costs for a receiving facility. An effective heuristic procedure is developed and evaluated over a broad range of conditions. Some of the implications of the research are discussed.
- For further information write in care of the author.
Logistics Research ConferenceGeorge Washington University
Washington, DC United States 20006
- Whybark, D C
- Publication Date: 1974-5-9
- TRT Terms: Logistics
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00054770
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Logistics Research Conference
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 24 1976 12:00AM