OPTIMIZATION OF THE LAYOUT AND OF THE RE-ALIGNMENT OF THE LAYOUT OF CURVED TRACK
This study is devoted to problems in connection with the layout of railway tracks in curves, the "versine method" currently employed on the SNCF being the sole method considered. These problems involved are of two types and concern: (1) the re-alignment of the layout during track maintenance operations: it is a case here of the correction of layout defects due to the passage of trains and not involving important track shifting; (2) detailed modification of the layout: it is a case here of the modification of the layout of a curve carried out in particular with a view to an increase in the running speed, combined, possibly, with a fault-correction. The solution of these two problems is obtained with the help of linear programming: it gives the track-shifts and the future versines and superelevations at each reference point on the site in taking into account one or more optimization criteria. The results are presented in the form of a list accompanied by a diagram supplied by a curve-plotter and giving versines and superelevations as a function of the curvilinear abscissa. The first type of problem has now been solved, both for simple curves and for curves with successive arcs. The calculation program concerning the second type of problem is in the course of being perfected and finalized.
- This paper was presented at the Third ORE Colloquium held in Amsterdam, May 8th to 10th 1973, and its Summary is contained in the Colloquium report #AZ40/RP 5/E; See RRIS #052511. Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Blanc, P
- Publication Date: 1973-6
- TRT Terms: Alignment; Computer programs; Curved track; Information processing; Linear programming; Maintenance of way; Railroad tracks; Structural design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Track design
- Old TRIS Terms: Question az40; Track alignment
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052582
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 27 1976 12:00AM