SIMULATION OF THE LOCOMOTIVE RUNNING DIAGRAM
The basis of the program is a simulation model. The object of our investigation is to establish a program by means of which we are able to produce locomotive running diagrams on the computer within a relatively short time. In the case of inexact groups of trains to be routed, and for waiting times between two trains which exceed a given time interval, the program constructs suitable individual locomotive runs. Critical cases in the locomotive running diagram which require human decisions are indicated by the computer. These decisions modify the inputs of the program. With these modified inputs, the process for establishing the working diagram must be repeated. The optimum criterion is the minimum time for the realization of the produced diagram. The basis of the model is a graphical structure. The points of this structure signify the arrival of trains for subsequent routing to their destination stations. In this structure, a "hamiltonian way" must be determined which satisfies the optimum criterion and all the conditions which are necessary for achieving the diagram. This process is accomplished by means of a combinative method. The program produces different variants of the diagram satisfying the indicated conditions. From these variants, the optimum solution is determined and the calculation of the indices of the diagram are carried out. Finally, the process outputs are printed.
- This paper was presented at the Third ORE Colloquium held in Amsterdam, May 8th to 10th 1973, and its Summary is contained in the Colloquium report #AZ40/RP 5/E; See RRIS #052511. Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Csikos, M
- Publication Date: 1973-6
- TRT Terms: Computer programs; Information processing; Simulation; Train operations
- Old TRIS Terms: Question az40; Train performance
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Freight Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052580
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 27 1976 12:00AM