AUTO-CORRECTING PROCEDURE FOR THE OPTIMIZATION OF TURNROUND SCHEDULES OF MOTIVE POWER UNITS
Turnround schedules for motive power units are obtained using electronic data processing systems, from a solution of the problem of linear optimisation. While allowing for the prescribed reversal times of locomotives and for other operating requirements, the minimum locomotive standing times are achieved. The auto-correcting procedure makes use of certain reserves in the reversal times, thus enabling locomotive transitions, which are frequently only a few minutes too short, to be incorporated into the turnround, consequently leading to a considerable improvement of the turnround schedule. The reductions in reversal times required for this are already covered by the computer program during the establishment of the turnround schedule and recorded for the next program sequence, using amended data. The process requires several correction stages and it is terminated as soon as the shortest possible reversal time has been attained at a reversal station. The user can thus make a choice from a number of turnround schedules. Experience hitherto has confirmed that this procedure leads to optimum turnround schedules.
- This paper was presented at the Third ORE Colloquium held in Amsterdam, May 8th to 10th 1973, and its Summary is contained in the Colloquium report #AZ40/RP 5/E; See RRIS #052511. Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Gluck, H
- Publication Date: 1973-6
- TRT Terms: Information processing; Locomotive utilization
- Old TRIS Terms: Question az40
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052577
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 27 1975 12:00AM