USE OF COMPUTERS FOR OPTIMAL DESIGN OF THYRISOTR LOCOMOTIVES
The paper describes the calculations which were made to get an optimum design of the electrical equipment for the thyristor locomotive Rc-2. A program which calculates the power factor and the harmonics with high accuracy using a step-by-step method is reported. A combined program for train-running and loadflow calculation was used to determine the losses in the transmission system as well as the load/speed-distribution for the locomotive. The author draws the conclusions that an accurate design of the electrical equipment adapted to the estimated running conditions can result in substantial decrease of the overall cost of a locomotive.
- This paper was presented at the Third ORE Colloquium held in Amsterdam, May 8th to 10th 1973, and its Summary is contained in the Colloquium report #AZ40/RP 5/E; See RRIS #052511. Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Sundstrom, L
- Publication Date: 1973-6
- TRT Terms: Computer programs; Electric locomotives; Information processing; Locomotives; Thyristors; Vehicle design
- Old TRIS Terms: Locomotive design; Question az40
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Design; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052573
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 27 1975 12:00AM