TELECOMMUNICATIONS RESEARCH IN THE UNITED STATES AND SELECTED FOREIGN COUNTRIES: A PRELIMINARY SURVEY
A preliminary investigation has been carried out on the command and control of rail transportation, both in the U.S. and overseas. An overriding consideration of rail transportation is safety, both for reasons of preservation of human life and for the high cost of a failure in potential damage to property. As such, railway signaling has evolved not only in a "fail-safe" mode, but in one where innovation must pass a series of slowly ascending levels of trial before being generally accepted in the industry. The second consideration is that of low R&D funding levels. In recent years gross investment in rail transportation has been low as the high technology fields of air and space have preoccupied governments.
- Report to NSF by Panel on Telecommunications Research, Committee on Telecommunications, NRC.
National Academy of Engineering2101 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC United States 20418
- Publication Date: 1973-6
- Volume: 2
- TRT Terms: Communications; Control systems; Rapid transit; Research projects; Signaling
- Uncontrolled Terms: Research programs
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Research;
- Accession Number: 00051528
- Record Type: Publication
- Contract Numbers: NSF H-1221
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 17 1982 12:00AM