PONTA DOBELA PORT IN MOZAMBIQUE
The consulting engineering work is being done by Soros Associates. The off-shore loading facility will accommodate vessels up to 300,000 DWT and is being designed to ultimately export 11.5 million tons per year of iron ore, coal and phosphate. Approximately 2.5 million tons per year of crude oil will be imported. Provisions will also be made for bunkering ships. The initial throughput will be 7-8 million tons per year consisting of coal, iron ore and oil. The facility is being designed with two ship loaders, each capable of loading the vessel at 8,000 tons per hour. At any time only one loader will be operated while the other positions itself to stand-by. On shore, provisions are made for bulk material stock piles, oil tanks and a pelletizing plant. the infra-structure will consist of a new town site, an airstrip and connecting railroad to Lourenco Marques. The plans and specifications are now under preparation and contractors will be prequalified in September/October 1973. It is expected that the facility will be operating in about 3 years. The total cost, excluding the infra-structure, is approximately US$65 million.
- Entire article appears here. Contact Soros Associates, Incorporated for further information.
- Publication Date: 1974-2
- TRT Terms: Deepwater harbors; Offshore terminals; Offshore transfer; Ore terminals
- Old TRIS Terms: Offshore loading
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00051867
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Soros Associates, Incorporated
- Report/Paper Numbers: Newspaper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 25 1974 12:00AM