RAILROAD ACCIDENT REPORT: RICHMOND, FREDERICKSBURG AND POTOMAC RAILROAD COMPANY TRAIN NO. 10/76 DERAILMENT WITH THREE FATALITIES AND NUMEROUS PERSONAL INJURIES, FRANCONIA, VIRGINIA, JANUARY 27, 1970
Train No. 10/76 derailed on Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac (RF&P) 1970. The train consisted of one express car, one postal car, two baggage cars, four coaches, two sleeping cars, and three diesel-electric locomotive units. The train proceeded northbound on No. 2 track and at Possum Point, 80 miles north of Richmond, crossed over to No. 3 track to avoid conflict with a local freight. On approaching Franconia, speed was reduced from 80 miles per hour to 70 miles per hour; at Franconia, speed was further reduced to 65 miles per hour, and as the train traversed the north end of a curve, the locomotive lurched severely to the left. Immediately thereafter, the derailment occurred. The accident resulted in the derailment of the eight rear cars of the train. The third, fourth, and fifth cars remained upright and coupled to the head end of the train. A separation occurred between the fifth and sixth cars, and between each of the following cars. The sixth through 10th car veered to the left down a bank, and either partially or completely overturned. Of the 101 passengers in the 10 cars, three were killed, five incurred injuries requiring hospitalization and 45 persons were treated for less serious injuries. The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of the derailment was the lateral movement of the track immediately ahead of the locomotive, due to conditions resulting from inadequate track maintenance procedures.
Washington, DC United States 20594
- Publication Date: 1971-2-3
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 57 p.
- TRT Terms: Crash investigation; Crash reports; Derailments; Fatalities; Maintenance of way; Maintenance practices; Railroad tracks; Stability (Mechanics)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Track stability
- Subject Areas: Maintenance and Preservation; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00071754
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Transportation Safety Board
- Report/Paper Numbers: NTSB-RAR-71-1
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 20 1976 12:00AM