THE POSSIBILITY OF USING FUEL ELEMENTS ON MERCHANT MARINE SHIPS, TECHNICAL EXPLOITATION OF MERCHANT MARINE SHIP ELECTROTECHNOLOGY
TEKHNICHESKAYA EKSPLUSTATSIYA MORSKOGO FLOTA, SUDOVAYA ELEKTROTEKHNIKA
A review is made of the possibility of using fuel elements on ships in the Merchant Marine. It is shown that in their technical indices fuel elements even now can be complete with heat engines. Fuel elements can be selected on a theoretical basis and when combined into batteries can provide the need for shipboard electric power at any scale required at the present time. The most efficient type of fuel element for Merchant Marine vessels is a low-temperature hydrogen element. With the successful solution of a number of problems which are presently restricting the widespread introduction of fuel elements into industrial electric power production (such as the danger of fuel explosion, its high cost in comparison with coal and petroleum plants, etc.), in the first few years, it will become possible to discuss on a practical basis the creation of shipboard electric power plants with fuel elements.
- Translation of unidentified Russian language monograph published by Transport, Moscow/Leningrad, 1965, p96-108.
Army Foreign Science and Technology Center220 7th Street, NE
Charlottesville, VA USA 22901
- Tarbeev, Y V
- Publication Date: 1971-3-16
- Pagination: 20 p.
- TRT Terms: Auxiliary power plants; Electric batteries; Electric power generation; Energy resources; Fuel cells; High speed rail; Propulsion
- Old TRIS Terms: Advanced propulsion; Power sources
- Subject Areas: Energy; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00019155
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FSTC-HT-23-069-71
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 29 1972 12:00AM